Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Fedora 11 Released

Fedora 11 Leonidas released yesterday. I've performed an upgrade and a clean install, both on encrypted laptops. Both installs went smoothly, however the upgrade took close to 3 hours. Yikes!

Some thoughts:
  • ATI has not released fglrx drivers yet for kernel 2.6.29, on which is what F11 is based
  • To get my nVidia based card (Geforce 8400 GS) to boot using the fancy Plymouth animated scene, I had to add "vga=0x361" to the kernel boot params in grub.conf, 32 bit 1280x800
  • I also had to add "vmalloc=128MB" to my grub conf so that the nvidia (kmod-nvidia-PAE) would load at runlevel 5. I kept getting errors related to vmalloc without this. Obviously, if you had a 256MB card you'd want to set it appropriately
I've just finished the installs / upgrades, so I can't comment yet on the features.

Get Fedora 11 now at fedoraproject.org

Update: The issue that I encountered with my nVidia card in F11 is documented in this Red Hat bug: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=489078

I also made an FAQ entry documenting this solution on the Common F11 Bugs page.

No comments: